Developer documentation?

Hi there...

Is it just me or does the GNOME project completely lack any useful
developer documentation? I can't see any at all!

eg. Why doesn't my gtk+ app work when I use
gnome_init("hello",NULL,argc,argv,0,NULL);
window=gnome_app_new("hello","Hi there!");
instead of:
gtk_init(&argc,&argv);
window=gtk_window_new(GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL);

Surely that's what the first call does - creates a toplevel window?

A tutorial for GNOME would go down really well... There's absolutely no
documentation worth speaking of for GNOME right now (and if there is,
I can't find it!). The GTK documentation lacks a lot, but GNOME's is
non-existant!

On an unconnected note, is there a good reason why I can't use gtk--
0.9.20 with gtk+ 1.1.3 (the one from gnome 0.30)? I'd like to use C++ in
my app, but if I can't I can't... :-(

Thanks,
Peter