Re: Newbie Question: gnome_init() fails

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Oliver M. Haynold wrote:

> Hello:

Hello!

> After having written my first mini-applications with gtk+, I wanted to
> start to use the gnome libraries. I compiled the gnome-hello-0 demo
> without error messages. If I run the program, however, the call
>
>   gnome_init ("gnome-hello-0-basic", NULL, argc, argv,
> 	      0, NULL);
>
> results in the following messages:
>
> ** WARNING **: invalid cast from `GnomeClient' to `GtkWindowType'
>
> ** WARNING **: invalid cast from `GnomeClient' to `GtkWindowType'

This looks like an error message from gtk+/gtk/gtktypeutils.c, from the
function gtk_type_check_object_cast function().

> ** WARNING **: gtk_type_create(): unknown parent type `12'.

Another function in the same file.

> ** ERROR **: file gnometypes.c: line 30 (gnome_type_init): "type_id != GTK_TYPE_INVALID"

This file is in gnome-libs/libgnomeui/.  The error message is generated by
a g_assert function, presumably on line 30.  This function is on line 31
in my copy, so there are some differences between our copies.

> Then the Program terminates. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

It sounds to me like your gtk+ and gnome-libs are out of sync.  I would
update the two of them (and glib too for good measure), and recompile.
Remember the order of compile/install should be glib, then gtk+, then
gnome-libs.

Best of luck,
Gleef