Re: Unable to get gnome to install properly...

Note that balsa-0.4.5-1 is a slightly outdated version of balsa.  My
suspicion is that you already have this installed from a previous gnome
installation.  Try doing a "rpm -qa | grep 'balsa'" to find out.

Basically the error tells you that you are installing a newer version of
libgtk and libgdk but that an older application on the system still needs
the older libraries to be installed.  You probably need to
"rpm -ivh --force".  If that still fails, it may be that the Gnome .3
distribution that you are installing have is including some old rpms (balsa,
gmc, and gnome-guile) and you should find a more recent copy of these three
packages.

And, yes, this process should be simpler.

Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/