Re: RFC: Gtk + XML chroming

> The main problem I see with your approach is that it would be
> difficult to use in C.

Not necessarily -- see below.

> What I am convinced should be done is have a way to name individual
> widgets and bind those to C variables as well as doing the signal
> connection in C, like this:
>
> my_dialog ()
> {
> 	XmlDialog *dialog = xml_load_dialog_box ("file.xml");
> 	GtkWidget *entry = xml_get_widget (dialog, "entry");
> 	GtkWidget *users = xml_get_widget (dialog, "username-clist");
> 	GtkWidget *dirs  = xml_get_widget (dialog, "dirs-clist");
>
> 	/* do something here with those widgets
> 	run (dialog);
> }
>
> So, any external representation of a GUI would be limited to
> specifying the layout for the widgets.

Well, there are two sides: yes, this is what the code partially does
below. Partially not: it sends "messages" to an object and that
could be implemented in C by

void receive_message(char *msg, char *param) {
	if(!strcmp(msg,"quit")) {
	} else if(...) {
	}
}

so it would be possible to switch around buttons and menus and so on
since the signals would be sent as these messages or method calls.

Or the receiving end could be a CORBA object.

	Tuomas