Re: Making prerequisites easy

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Yo 'Ric Dude wrote:

> A well publicised FAQ, referenced prominently from www.gnome.org,
> explaining how to keep the plethora of .m4 files in sync,

That's already in the GNOME FAQ, although it's not very prominent and
suggests a sub-optimal approach.

> what
> the most common errors are and how to fix them, etc.

What are the most common errors, again?  Most of the problems that I am
aware of are either explained in the FAQ, or they are actual problems
with the code, in which case the code should be fixed, rather than
workarounds documented.

> should go a
> long way in getting many users up to speed.  A clear dependency
> chart may be useful, too.  e.g. Library X requires libs Y and Z,
> and optionally lib W.

There is a list of required packages in the FAQ; if you would like to
submit a full dependency tree, then go ahead.  I would include such
a beast in the FAQ in a heartbeat, modulo any inaccuracies.

> Quick! I need help compiling! Take me to the Getting Started FAQ!
>
> Better yet, once the major distros start including Gnome itself
> in the distro itself, it then becomes a simple matter to upgrade
> via rpm, dpkg, apt-get, or whatever.

I concur.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net