Re: Future of GNOME

> I'm a little bit disappointed about gnome. Although many people
> implement programs, it seems that we don't have any new ideas. Most
> of the initial proposals are ignored, and I don't see what makes
> gnome better than other approaches

Just a comment before I go to reply your mail:  I have not seen a
single patch from you to make any change to Gnome.

> baboon:
>
> What's the state of baboon? Will gnome use a software component model?
> (gwp doesn't use corba/baboon).

It is being designed in the programmers copious free time, at this
point, Baboon is not ready for deploying in applications yet.

Now, the issue with Baboon is that we can talk and talk on the mailing
lists about how to implement Baboon but without a framework to test
Baboon and the ideas, it is rather limited the design we can do with
it.

So, we got Gnumeric up to speed to serve as a testbed for Baboon.

> I've written two programs where it's possible to use the gnome-mdi
> interface. But it seems that there is no common acceptance on
> gnome-mdi, although it's in the core libraries.

It is used by various applications.  If you want to see more
applications use it, send us the patches.

> That is only my personal opinion. Other people like/dislike other
> things.  But if we have a better specification what gnome should be,
> we can avoid doing things twice.

We are taking patches.

Miguel.