xlock, xscreensaver errors

Hello fellow penguins:

this is the following error I recieve when the screensaver is supposed to kick in
xlock, could not grab keyboard! (1)
xscreensaver: child pid 1750 (xlock) exited abnormally (code 1).

I also noticed in the gnome control center there is only Input Devices,
Mouse & keyboard, and the workspace and appearances are missing as shown at
http://www.labs.redhat.com/~jrb/control-center4.gif

It was working at one point, but not anymore.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm running 5.1 gnome 3.0, latest windowmaker wm.

Thank You in Advance,

bob hiett