Re: 3d today instead of when MS wants to go...

From: Reklaw <nawalker@earthlink.net>
To: hib@kcd.com <hib@kcd.com>
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org <gnome-list@gnome.org>
Date: Wednesday, October 07, 1998 8:43 PM
Subject: Re: 3d today instead of when MS wants to go...

>On  7 Oct, Hibbard M. Engler wrote:
><snip-o-la>
>>
>> Thats it for my counter-arguments.  But really, people need more than
>> "better windows" to drop Microsoft.
>>

>Miscosoft is already working on something, I think they call it
>"chrome". It uses the thing that they are working on with
>SGI, the next step in DirectX (kalediscope?). Fact or FUD, I don't know.

Could you provide a link where I could find more info on this.  I've heard
little remarks like this but never seen anything substantial.

>You may also want to look at the Berlin project.

Could you please give me a link to this.  I've heard it mentioned on this
list about 12 times, and have yet to see anything more informative than the
name and that it is 3D.  :)

>My opinion: 3d interfaces are unless with the hardware commonly found
>on most computers. A 3d interface with common PC hardware would offer
>few advantages over 2d --  and effectivly lock out not only low-end
>users but also power users who like to compile 3 programs at once, play
>gnome-stones, and browse the web and the same time.

The same could have been sade of 2D interfaces just a few years ago.  This
argument is fundamentally flawed, and just plain silly, IMO.  :)

---------
Jesse D. Sightler
http://www3.pair.com/jsight/