Re: Clipboard history idea.

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Liss Svanberg wrote:

> Matthew Newhall [odinson@flatclub.ml.org] once wrote:
>
> <znip>
> > Their would be some kind of method by two gcb's agree it's
> > appropriate to communicate, a login of some sort (probobly command line
> > grandma won't be fooling with this feature, at least not visibaly.Maybe
> > a front end could pop up later.) It should also be decided at the gcb
> > login whether, gcb #.#.#.3 should send data to gcb #.#.#.41 no access the
> > oppisite way, the reverse, two mutually accessable archives, or which one
> > should archive all data accessable to both.  Gcb could communicate with
> > another gcb on port x.  This would make it easy to block or support gcb
> > over firewalls.
> >
> > Unfortunatly I think sending that kind of data, even over a LAN would have
> > to involve encription to be safe. That makes it sound a bit more involved.
> > Is there a way that the packets can be protected without intergrating
> > encryption in gcb.  Gcb should be as lightweight and non-obtrusive as
> <qwerty>
>
> Sorry to bother...
> I don't know much about network saftey (I'm trying to learn...)...
>
> Anyway,
> I don't like the idea that I should make my clipboard contents public.
> Why not implement the possibility of sending parts of your clipboard to
another clipboard instead?
> You could be able to mail clipboard data to another clipboard.
> All encryption and saftey work would then rely on the mailing
application.
> (And the CORBA implementation. CORBA objects would of course mail their
stringID.)

> I really hope that I didn't make a fool of myself now... :-/
>
> mvh
> // Liss
> liss@yadb.se

Hello

No bother we are in this to learn.  I've only been using Linux/UNIX for 8
months now.  Any input is welcome. Sorry if I came off rash, I meant it in
a concerned way.  The last thing I would want to do is be responsible for
the "hole" in Linux running Gnome.  You probably know more about the gnome
innards than I (just started fooling with GTK) Hell I probably won't be
adding this to the project for sevral months. The original letter was
meant as a notice to say "Hey anyone want to hack this real quick?"  I
imadgine the people who could probably could do it in a day are busy with
other things.  So I will plug away at writing a decent app, and any help
is welcome!  Unfortunatly I will be able spend little time on it until
December.
        Oh here I go being critical again.  Using mail for the purpose of
encryption sounds good for more advanced users, but sounds like it could
be a hassle newbies or middle of the roaders to set up.  All Unix PC's
won't have mail availiable or configured.  I think most people who
understand email would rather just attach it by hand.
        Lets see if we can pull together a gcb and Gclipboard for a single
session at a time first, and then work on networking ability.  It seems to
have sparked an interest, so stubs for one gcb calling one or several
others should definatly be in the code.  Also the code for Gclipboard
should be set up as to make future multi-gcb sessions easy to access
and understand(perhaps would be file folder type tags at the top of the
window with names of accesasble gcb session availiable. Tempereraly empty
tabs greyed out.) Then users can benefit for now (when ever now is) as
developments advance.

Good day.

-Matthew Newhall