Re: Clipboard history idea.

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Blake wrote:

> I think that a simply filo buffer for a gcp app would be enough, and it
> could use standard unix signals, or perhaps it could use IP. If a program
> copies, it sends it via IP, which could be to a gcp on another machine. This
> makes a lot of sense if you run a lot of remote prosseces under X.

Hello

  That took about ten minuets.  I guess that a filo buffer could
also be easy enough to implement.  It would just mean you would have to
juggle the information between two stacks, for each data type of some
description, when you wanted to recall a type midway in the stack.

  What do you mean about standard UNIX signals?  I know some C and C++ but
I have programmed in Linux/UNIX very little.  This one of the reasons I
hesitate to jump on this programing this myself.  I still have some
catching up to do.

  I do know a little about networks.  Did you mean a gcb client server
setup? The gcb server receives the signal, retrieves the data pack, and
sends a signal to al the waiting gcb clients?   This would prevent
redundant copies from being stored.  Is the rest of Gnome setup
that way?  If it is consistant it sounds good to me.

  I am concerned about security.  Is it an unfounded fear to think of
someone using this to request sensitive cut or copied data that they
shouldn't have access to?

  I realize there are potentially infinate data types so perhaps if
gclipboard was setup in such a way that it was easy to write and add a
definition for selecting and display of each data type?  Of course it
should be setup by default to cope with plain text and imadges. For
plain text it would display the first 50 characters of the text.  And
for imadges it would caculate a thumbnail, or maybe show the imadge at
full size when right clicked(send a cut signal when left clicked.) Maybe
it should have a sort of plugin interface after that.  So if a certain
type of medical record would show 10 characters of the first 3 fields of
data.  And a sound clip would show a pix of a pair of notes that then in
turn would play the clip if right clicked?

Matthew Newhall
President of FLAT
http://flatclub.ml.org/
nneewwhhaallll@mindspring.com