Re: Windows and DLLs

On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 11:00:03AM -0700, David Jeske wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 1998 at 02:28:38PM +0200, luther@maxime.u-strasbg.fr wrote:
> > you can execute every executable if you give the absolute or
> > relative path to it.
> >
> > that is if in the directory /home/joe/myfiles/thisdir there is a
> > file this.is.an.executable, you can launch it either by :
> >

> > /home/joe/myfiles/thisdir/this.is.an.executable
> > or by :
>
> Try that if the program has datafiles and was compiled to find them in
> /usr/local/this_program/.

that has nothing to do with the os or anything, you can make programs with fixed paths compiled in under any operating system, it is just bad programming practice, if you open a file at a:soandso/file.cfg it will be the same problem if the file is not where expected.

now my amiga had assigns that permitted to assign a 'virtual volume' to one or more directories.

you just did :

assign this_prog_config_files: hd0:mydir
assign this_prog_config_files: s:this_prog ADD
and when you try to open this_prog_config_files:file.cfg
it would search first hd0:mydir, then s:this_prog, ...

> > remember that unix system have been arround since forever, and are
> > very mature in this kind of thing.
>
> I would argue that the unix system has been around forever, and thus
> is very dated in this respect.

see above.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER