Re: Changing the lang by an application

On Sun, Nov 22, 1998 at 04:20:10PM +0300, Khimenko Victor wrote:
> > what's the point of changing languages on the fly anyway ... it's not
> > something like themes ... you're likely to use the same language all the
> > time ...
>
> It's NEEDED sometimes. Just a short example from the past: "extended momory" vs
> "expanded memory". Usually "extended memory" was "расширенная память" and
> "expanded memory" was "дополнительная память" but quite a few programs used
> reversed translations! This was nightmare :-(( If there are will be possibility
> to take a look on dialog with such terms "in english" this will be great...
> BTW I have here few bilingual programs for Windows NT (english/russian) and
> there you could change language without restarting programs (sometimes it's
> enough just to click on "Russian" radio-button and you'll got "Русский" intead
> of "Russian", "Английский" instead of "English", etc -- the whole program
> interface will be immideately translated on Russian. In some you should close
> dialog or "Apply" changes in dialog. NOONE requires restart.

good point ...

and I'm probably one of the people that try to avoid restarts for config
changes for everything (just check the panel ... it tries to handle
everything without being restarted .. though sometimes it can be
unsuccesfull (such as in wild changes in menu directory structure could
in fact confuse it I think))

but the language thing seems pretty hard to handle I think ...

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: