Re: gnews-hows it going?

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> >
> > > The interface is not very far along either, but my architecture is
> > > completely implemented.  My background includes quite a bit of news
> > > admin stuff, so I have some strong ideas about the proper implementation
> > > of news readers.
> >
> > You might want to try XGtk, which makes writing interfaces a LOT faster.
>
> Call me biased, but I like compiling C code.  I have used Glade for all
> the UI components so far, and I just generate source out of that.  Very
> productive, despite Glade's youth.

The nice thing about the dynamicity is how easy it makes for an expert user
to add one button to perform his favorite macro.

Or to delete parts of the window hierarchy he doesn't want to see.

Or to embed a dialog box in the main window if he prefers a one-window
interface.

The real thing here is flexibility.

All without recompiling.

Also, at least for me, it is easier to use character-based interfaces
to write gui code - I find using the mouse to drag buttons distasteful.
I really hope people would put their biases away for a moment and at
least take a look at the examples...

	Tuomas