E slow

I have just finished compiling gnome and E from CVS and they seem to work fine
except thatE is very slow. For example if I have two Netscape windows open it
takes several seconds to change focus from one to the other, or rather the
focus changes immediately but the graphics lag behind for several seconds. I am
running this on a P400 with 128Mb RAM and a Matrox G200 AGP grahics card so
this is a reasonably high end system. Have I got a problem or is E generally
just slow ?

Pat