Re: resignations, flamewars, and the future

+----- From: MATTHEW ETTUS <matthew.ettus@Sun.COM>
| If the only reason you worked on GNOME was that KDE had bad licensing,
| you were working on it for the wrong reason.
|
| The KDE news is good...  It allows the success of Linux NOW.  It gives
| us (finally) a 1990's class desktop.
|
| GNOME allows continued success -- It advances technology, rather than
| catches us up.  It will be the desktop for the next century.
|
| The KDE news is good for GNOME... now GNOME can take its time and get it
| right, rather than getting it first.
+--->8

KDE is a nice CDE/Windows "crossover" desktop good for those who already know
some windowing system.

GNOME is more like what IBM's Workplace Shell *should* have been:  flexible,
extensible.  And it continues the X11 "style" of interchangeable components,
instead of the monolithic structure of Windows and CDE (and KDE).

FWIW I don't like the KDE interface much (likewise for CDE), which is why I'm
trying to work on GNOME when I have time --- it allows me to build *my* idea
of a nice interface.

(The Linux installation images I maintain for CMU ECE contain both KDE and
GNOME, and have for several months.  ---Actually, GNOME is missing at the
moment; I want to build packages from the most stable CVS snapshots I collect
over the next few weeks instead of using what came with Red Hat 5.2.  And
the images aren't final yet, I'm still testing the "ECE facilitized" image.)

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu