Re: Fast Image Manipulation?

George wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 01:17:40AM -0500, SEGV wrote:
> > What I need is an equivalent of bitblt (Win32 function) to just copy bits of one
> > image to another. But I don't see one offhand. Presumably I could manually play
> > with the bits. Is that what this will come to?
> >
> > Or are there any other good suggestions?
>
> well unlike dos or windows ... you can't manipulate bits directly ... the
> image (pixmap) is stored on the server ... and the only way to get to it is
> though X calls ... if you did operations in the client space you need to
> get them into server space (read slow) ... what you need is to store
> everything as pixmaps and use gdk_draw_pixmap

Sorry, I realize I can't play with the actual display bits. In fact, they may
not even be on this side of the earth. Although, I don't anticipate this working
on non-local displays. Really I'm using X because I'm lazy and don't feel the
need to learn SVGALIB or something like that. I'll scale back my requirements
quite a bit before investigating other avenues.

If I use gdk_draw_pixmap, I'll need to keep separate ones though, right? I don't
see how I can draw just a part of one. Is that much overhead, in practice? I'd
assume no more than a dozen or so bytes...

--
SEGV    http://www.cgocable.net/~mlepage/