Re: gnome-pty-helper left after gnome-terminal

> I have some more input on this.  If you 'exit' the shell and the window
> closes, then all is fine.  If you close the window using the window manager
> or the 'Terminal->Close' menu, then it sticks around (sometimes it loops
> too?).

I have noticed this bug as well.  I will look into fixing it later
today while waiting on the dentist.

> I also have a query as to why it is necessary to have the pty-helper
> executing all the time?  This seems odd to me ...

Right now you get a cookie that describes what resources were
allocated by you (the utmp/wtmp entry and the file descriptors).  I
think the dependency on the file descriptors is gone.

The problem with utmp/wtmp handling is that it would mean that
gnome-pty-helper (a SUID application) would need to trust what the
user is reporting (ie, "close a terminal session") and can be lead to
be misused for various purposes, that is the only reason I am keeping
the suid helper running.

Thing is: how can you trust that the user is dealllocating the proper
terminal?

Miguel.