Could not autogen.sh

I get the following errors when running autogen.sh on any of the CVS
directories:

[orme@optic gtk+]$ ./autogen.sh
I am going to run ./configure with no arguments - if you wish
to pass any to it, please specify them on the ./autogen.sh command line.

aclocal: configure.in: 178: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:151: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:385: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:403: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:150: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:151: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:385: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
configure.in:403: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,
$VERSION, no-define)'

It appears that I need a new version of the configure libraries but
I have no idea of what RH 5.x package(s) to upgrade or to what version.
I am running a Red Hat 5.1 system with minimal security updates.  What
should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Dave Orme

--                 "Trying to get Windows to run on the hardware that
David Orme                  Linux typically [flys] on is like pushing
david@coconut-palm-software.com        an elephant through a keyhole"
http://www.coconut-palm-software.com           --Forbes Magazine