Re: More info about the popt problem

intinig@tin.it writes:
> I didn't receive any help on my problem, so I decided to try to fix it by
> myself. I removed the old popt I had installed, removed and rechecked the
> gnome-libs/libgnomeui dir, rebuilt gnome-libs.
>
> But, I still get this error
>
> $ gnome-session (or any other gnome app)
> gnome-session: error in loading shared libraries
> /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.so.0: undefined symbol: poptHelpOptions

Can you do

	$ which gnome-session
	$ ldd `which gnome-session`

You'll want to verify which libgnomesupport.so is being loaded, and
whether it was compiled the same time as libgnomeui.so.

> I am not very expert in the libs field but I played a bit with nm and
> did a nm /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomeui.a | grep poptHelpOptions.
>
> poptHelpOptions is there.

And you got something that said

	U poptHelpOptions

This means this is an external reference to `poptHelpOptions' -- that
symbol is "U"ndefined.

You'll want to look at `libgnomesupport.so'.  Can you try

	$ nm --dynamic libgnomesupport.so | grep poptHelpOptions

It should give something like

	0001d830 D poptHelpOptions

Ignore the leading hex number.  This means that `poptHelpOptions' is
defined in the "D"ata section (it is a global variable initialized to
some value).  If the grep fails, thats where your problem lies.

Another thing to verify: The output of the following command should
include `-lgnomesupport'.

	$ gnome-config --libs gnomeui

And, finally, can you update both `gnome-libs' and `gnome-core' to
latest and compile both -- in that order, and see if the problem goes
away.

- Hari