Re: dotfile question

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Jesse Kaufman wrote:

> what do all the .prx* files in my home directory do?  i assume they are
> prefs files, but do i really need 30 of them?!?  : ^ )  how can i tell
> which ones are old, and delete them?

(I think) these are the files created by "gnome-smproxy", which helps the
session manager by providing session support for non-gnome apps.  There
should be only one of these files, but a bug in older gnome versions means
that the old ones don't get cleaned up (you get a new one every time you
start gnome via "gnome-session").  Newer versions of gnome from CVS don't
seem to have this problem.

You should be able to safely remove all the .prx* files while
gnome-session and gnome-smproxy are running, i.e. while using gnome.  If
you do it when they're not, or I've made a mistake, gnome will forget what
non-gnome applications you had running last time you started gnome, which
isn't too serious.  But don't shoot me if I'm wrong!  I never had any
problems deleting these files myself.

-- Duncan