Gnome session starting problem.

Cannot start gnome-session ! This is the error message I get.

SESSION_MANAGER=local/knutsson-pc.localdomain:/tmp/.ICE-unix/467,tcp/knutsso
n-pc.localdomain:1560
gmc: error in loading shared libraries
libgtk-1.1.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/bin/bash: icewm: command not found
Gdk-Message:
** ERROR **: sigsegv caught
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 470, errno = 2
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 472, errno = 2

My main question is why gnome-session is trying to start gmc.I realise that
gmc cannot start because of library conflicts, but I want to know how to
prevent gmc from starting at all ? On another gnome installation I don't
even have the gmc package installed and everything works fine.
I am really stumped. I am very close to re-installing the entire gnome.

/Lukas Knutsson