Re: Popt --> cannot install it........

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Phillip Neumann wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > Phillip Neumann wrote:
> > > gnome-libs is asking for popt 1.2.1, so i dowload popt and install it
> > > (./autogen --prefix=/gnome make make install).
> > > After installing it i run ldconfig.
> > >
> > > now gnome-libs is still asking fir popt!!!:
> > >
> > > checking for poptGetInvocationName in -lpopt... no
> > > configure: error: *** popt >= 1.2.1 is not installed - please install
> > > first ***
> >
> > You are compiling from CVS?
> >
> > Try "rm config.cache" to see if that is the problem.
> >
> >         Jeff
>
> hi,
>

> Well thanks jeff but i did try it too..... it dont work either...
>
> (yes im compiling from cvs)

Short answer:
install popt under /usr.

Long answer:
Look at gnome-libs/configure.in about line 209.
It says

dnl Check for popt library
dnl
AC_CHECK_LIB(popt, poptGetInvocationName,[POPT_LIB=-lpopt
        AC_DEFINE(USE_POPT)
], AC_MSG_ERROR([*** popt >= 1.2.1 is not installed - please install first
***])
)

so configure tries to compile a little program (`conftest.c') with a
command line much like

gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -Wmissing-prototypes -W
missing-declarations -Wpointer-arith   -I/usr/local/lib/glib/include
-I/usr/local/include  conftest.c -lpopt  -lm

so gcc (well, ld) goes looking for libpopt.{a,so}. But you installed popt
under /gnome, so ld can't find it without a -L/gnome/lib flag.

I'm not really sure what to do about this - another one of those faintly
unpleasant-feeling gtk-config style scripts, maybe?

Or maybe it's possible to assume that libpopt could be installed under the
same prefix as gnome-libs is being configured for. That should be
possible, although I wouldn't know how.

PS: `ldconfig -v | grep popt' didn't find anything because libpopt is only
made statically. That you can run it suggests you have the privileges to
install popt under /usr, so for now I'd do that, or comment the
AC_CHECK_LIB out of configure.in - it should still all build.

Michael Hudson
Jesus College
Cambridge
mwh21@cam.ac.uk