Re: gtk compilation woes

On 31 Oct 1998, Raja R Harinath wrote:

> Rasmus Tamstorf <rt@brandx.net> writes:
> > Despite reading (and trying to follow) all the FAQ's and HOWTO's about
> > building from the CVS tree I can't get past the gtk package :-(
> >
> > If I do a './autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnome' in the gtk directory
> > (updated today) I get :
> >
> >   aclocal: configure.in: 178: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
>
> This is explained in the FAQ ("Do I have to do anything special if I'm
> not installing in /usr or /usr/local?" or something like that).

Doh ! I guess I should read more carefully :-/ Sorry !

> > Since AM_PATH_GLIB is defined in glib.m4, I can get past this error by
> > doing a 'export ACLOCAL_FLAGS=../glib' BUT is that really the right way of
> > doing it ? Shouldn't the configuration be set up to pick up any required
> > m4 files from the glib package ?
>
> The glib `make install' places `glib.m4' where it thinks aclocal will
> find it.  You'll have to set ACLOCAL_FLAGS if that expectation is wrong.

Hmmm, just a thought : Wouldn't it be fairly easy to check and see if
--prefix is being used and if so print a message reminding people to set
ACLOCAL_FLAGS ? (just like a message is printed about updating
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or running ldconfig).

<--- snip --->

> That's interesting: the shareable object (-fPIC) got created without
> complaint.  The static object compilation exited, however.  The error
> messages are helpfully discarded, which is usually the right thing to
> do, but not in this case (AFAIK, on x86 machines, -fPIC should be the
> one that causes problems).
>
> Anyway, first, check if your disk is full or something like that.

My disk was 5 % full, so that wasn't the problem.

> If you have no such problem, try doing
>
> 	make distclean
> 	rm -f config.cache		# just to be sure
> 	configure --disable-shared
>
> And try compiling again.  You should be able to see the error messages
> in this case, _if_ the compilation fails.

Ok, I tried this, and it worked :-) However, going back I am now also
able to build the shared libraries (?!?!) Beside my filesystem crashing a
couple of times :-( nothing else has changed so it's really weird.
Although the filesystem crashes happened while compiling gtk and gimp I
suspect that's a problem related to my kernel (2.1.122) so I won't blame
it on gnome (just yet ;) However, seeing that sporadic behavior I believe
it could have been something similar that broke the build in the first
place.

In any case though, I've appreciated your help ! Thanks a lot.

Rasmus