Re: support for threads?

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> That is Gtk is DESIGNED to be thread unsafe ???

No, it isn't designed with threads in mind one way or the other. Relax.

> Even worse. Why are Gtk and Gnome designed to be not thread safe ??? Threads
> could really helpful on SMP systems and SMP become more common with each day!

Not really; how often do you want two things happening at once in the GUI?
The GUI is never appreciably slow; if it is, you are probably waiting on X
and the network connection, and Gtk being thread safe wouldn't help. If
you are doing heavy calculations, you can do those in another thread, then
display the result.

However, I'm sure a thread-safety patch would be accepted. There are
probably some cases where it's nice. But it is not all that important IMO.

Havoc