Re: Lazy and really NEW

jondowd@jeffnet.org wrote:

> Dear Joe,  I too, look forward to the day I can tell my friends
> "Here, just insert this CD in drive D and hit enter ! "
>
> It would be nicer for me if the Linux-GNU-gnome stuff was a lot
> easier to install.
>
> I've spent a couple of weeks (off and on, of course) installing a Red
> Hat 5.0.  I use System Commander to boot it, as LILO seemed to
> corrupt my MBR (as if I knew what an MBR was last March ! ), and can

I agree about LILO. They actually have 2 mode to install: 1) to MBR 2)
to Linux partition. I alwais use second mode and even don't understand
why they still uses this 1) mode and even install it by default. You
have a prompt in any distribution setup. Just selet second.Actually, in
mode 1) you don't touch MBR and if something wrong you can alwais boot
DOS floppy and make command "fdisk /MBR".

> login as root and startx but CAN NOT dial my ISP to download
> Netscape or  gzzzzz or tar balls let alone anything gnome.
>
> I will enjoy Linux much more when I can dial with it.  Can you HELP ?
>
> Thanks, Jon Dowd
>
> --

          Andrew

begin:          vcard
fn:             Andrew V. Shuvalov
n:              Shuvalov;Andrew V.
adr:            38 Hooper St.;;;Port Jefferson Station;NY;11776;USA
email;internet: andrew@ecsl.cs.sunysb.edu
tel;work:       (516)-632-7865
tel;home:       (516)-473-2430
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0