Re: WM Question

> For us total WM newbies, what is a WM hint?  I think, from the way you all
> talk about them, it is some sort of service. Could you give an example of
> what one is and why they are important?

 WM hints are simply properties set on windows by either the clients
themselves, or the window manager. There are several hint properties defined
by the X standard, and a few more in the ICCCM. These include window size,
preferred position on screen, an icon, etc. Then there are propietary hints,
like the motif hints, which the GNOME handleboxes use to keep the wm from
decorating floating windows with titles and buttons. KDE also has similar
hints.

They are called hints because a client can request the properties, but a
window manager does not have to obey them. So the client "hints" to the
WM what size it would like, whether it is transient or not, etc. The wm may
or may not honor the client's request.

GNOME needs some hints to let the WM know to keep the panel sticky, for
instance, or to request that a window appear on a particular desktop, or
maybe to start minimized. Check the wm hints proposal link off of the
GNOME proposals web page.

For further information see the Xlib Programming Manual Vol 1, Section 10
"Interclient Communication".

Hope that helps,
M.Watson <redline@pdq.net>