Re: Gnome RPMs not relocateable

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> To: Stephanos Piperoglou <>
> Subject: Re: Gnome RPMs not relocateable
> From: Matthew Kirkwood <>
> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:
> > Is there a specific reason that the GNOME RPMs aren't relocateable? Or
> > is it that no one has bothered to make them so? It would really help if
> > I could dump GNOME under /opt/gnome and not worry about any conflicts.
> > If anything, it would be easier to do an rm -rf /opt/gnome and start
> > from scratch instead of constantly worrying about conflicting
> > installations of various modules.
> One trick that I have found to be useful in the past for things as big
> as this is to have two /usr/local/ partitions.  Now, if only the GNOME
> RPMs installed themselves there ;)

Well, one feature of using RPM is that you can easily remove an installed
package, isn't it ?

There was some discussion about the installation prefix of the RPMS on the
list recently. Perhaps you should look at the mailing list archive at the
Gnome site - I didn't read the entire thread, but perhaps some people had
some ideas that can be useful for you.

   Martin Baulig - Angewandte Mathematik - Universitaet Trier,
   Key: 1024-bit key with ID C8178435 created 1997/01/24
   ID:  67 C1 84 A0 47 F5 11 C5  5F 68 4C 84 99 05 C3 92
   Finger me for public key or fetch finger.txt from the url above

Version: 2.6.3i
Charset: noconv