Re: XML again

allen rouse <arouse@austin.ibm.com> writes:

> 	Sometime ago I posted a suggestion about using XML ideas (very
> wishful thinking) to replace the current GUI technology. A few found
> the idea interesting. It was also suggested that the discussion,
> what there was of it, be moved to the gui-list but the thread was
> already dead by that time.

I think that almost /any/ scripting language would work better for GUI
design than XML would. After all, it makes no sense to use script for
GUI design if you can't also use it to implement even the most trivial
callbacks.

> 	I have recently come across a certain company's web site. The
> comapny has sumbitted a proposal to the W3 Consortium for using XML
> as a 'medium' for communication between a web client and an
> ORB. Kind of cool stuff.

Just checked them. They aparently want to replace IIOP with XML. This
is, IMHO, very, VERY bad idea, as XML requires several layers of
fairly nontrivial parsing which make marshalling/unmarshalling far
slower than with IIOP.

Don't get caught with buzzwords. :) XML is nice as an extensible data
format (i.e. when you expect to add things to the format in the future
without breaking the present software), but that doesn't turn it into
universal cure for all software engineering problems.

--
I refuse to use .sig