Re: Telnet app

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Soren Harward wrote:

> I've noticed that of all the little 'net apps in the works, none of them
> have anything to do with telnet.  I might be making a huge faux pas right
> here--someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not actually
> running GNOME at this point.  I think that it might be handy to have a
> little menu or something that the user could click on that launches a
> telnet window or something and starts a telnet link to the desired host
> automatically.  I hate to come up with an idea an then have to ask someone
> else to do it, but I'm simply not knowledgable enough about programming to
> do this myself.  If nobody wants to do this, then I guess I'll just start
> learning C++ and GTK and four years from now have a working program.....

	Support for this is already around.  Try this:

ln -s /usr/bin/rlogin localhost
./localhost

	See?  It rlogin'd in.  No big deal, right?  But if you have a menu
system which reads and runs files in a directory, then you already have a
nice way of connecting to hosts in a graphical system.  All you have to do
is make a nice program to create these files.

	Or you could just do it from scrtch.  If you do that, I need a
nice way to move host order, add/delete, and, of course, group hosts
together.  (I have one host group accessed under one name, but sometimes I
want to access a particular host.)

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
 If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
                     if it doesn't, it never was.