Re: PANEL OBJECTS

On 12 May 1998, Rob Browning wrote:

> robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:
>
> > One unpleasantry the Interface Hall of Shame mentions (or used to) is that
> > neither Windows nor Mac lets you choose the order of the items on the
> > menu; this is a consequence of storing the menu items in the filesystem.
> > Optional ordering information could conceivably be added to .desktop
> > files, or .directory files, to deal with this.
>
> Or you could just define that the names of all the files representing
> menu items have a specific format like:
>
>   number.name.whatever
>
> and the initial number determines ordering, but doesn't show up in the
> menu.

	I think Windows 98 solves this problem that way...  They have the
ability to drag new items onto the start menu...  And so they'd have to
keep the order somewhere...

						-Ben

Benjamin Kahn                        /,`.-'`'   -,  ;-;;'
(212) 924 - 2220                    |,4-  ) )-,_ ) /\
 If you love something, write it in C; if it compiles, it is yours;
                     if it doesn't, it never was.