Re: Panel build error: stddef.h

George <jirka@5z.com> writes:
> Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> wrote:
> > This is a problem with the `automake' dependency tracking mechanism.  It
> > cannot handle deleted header files.  Since it keeps track of system
> > headers too, it complains when you change compilers.
> >
> > This problem wasn't as visible with the 2 year release cycle of `gcc',
> > but is very evident with a new `egcs' compiler every two weeks ;-).
>
> best solution is

Best solution is to fix `automake'.

> rm -fR **/.deps
>
> (if you are using zsh, in bash it's more typing)

Yep.  But, this loses relevant dependency information, and unless you do
a `make clean' too, you won't recompile files that need to be
recompiled.  I do

	rm -fr `find . -name .deps -print` && make clean && make

If you changed the compiler, even the fixed `automake' would have
recompiled all files anyway.

- Hari