Gnome won't build, ./configure fails

I have tried to build gnome-libs, gnome-core, etc.  I find that they
all fail to build.  For all of them I see:

andersee@dillweed% cd gnome-core/
andersee@dillweed% autoconf
andersee@dillweed% ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
./configure: line 525: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: line 525: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
andersee@dillweed% autoconf --version
Autoconf version 2.12

Anybody have any idea where AM_CONFIG_HEADER is supposed to be defined?
I would _really_ like to get things to build under Debian.  Anybody have
any idea what the problem here is?

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/