Date: Fri May  8 22:10:22 1998
From: Various
Subject: GTK implementation of the AWT 8(

Topics:
   GTK implementation of the AWT 8(
   Re: GTK implementation of the AWT 8(

Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:00:37 +0000
From: Doug South <dsouth@squirrel.net>
To: japhar@Hungry.COM

I've had a look at GTK, and I'm afraid it is too high level for an implementation or the AWT.

GTK appears to have its on built in Window Management. From what I've seen in the tutorial, you can use box or table to layout
widgets.

For Java, we need to be able to manipulate the Components directly (dictate its size, shape and placement within Containers),
without an intervening Window Manager getting involved. Window Management in AWT should occur within the AWT.

Maybe the tutorial for GTK doesn't cover it, but I need a way to directly manipulate the Widgets in order to implement the peer
classes. Is this possible in GTK? If not, any suggestions for a toolkit where we can manipulate the widgets directly?

Doug

--
My wasted space --- http://www.squirrel.net/~dsouth