Re: some thoughts..

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Kenneth R. Kinder wrote:

> BTW, we have a gnomified mozilla???  Where???

Well, it's not actually *finished*, but people are working on it. ... ;-)
Look on www.mozilla.org under "ports."

> I agree; memory usage of gnome, at present isn't bad.  And it is a fine,
> fine file manager (he has a nack for great file managers).  At any rate,
> with folks taking about integrating the file manager with everything else,
> and integrating everything else with the file manager, we need to look at
> a modular approach.  Do you understand my position?  No need for
> super-duper modules on a NORMAL file manager, but with developers talking
> about a file manager with everything from FTP to SMB to ice cream :), I
> have to think a modular approach would be best for this kind of thing.

Ultimately everything is likely to be modular via CORBA, I guess.

> > I don't mean to snap at you in particular, it just seems that every other
> > day someone posts saying "I don't want to run this program" "Isn't the
> > Help bloat? I don't need help, I'm too manly" etc.
>
> If you're too manly for ghelp, use the man pages! <g>

Was that god-awful pun intentional? :)

> Yeah.  In the interest of documentation, I'm doing a DocStructure project
> myself -- to allow developers to quickly and easily write documentation!
>:)  And I'm taking resource usage as a lower priority than modularity and
> speed of development; I'm writing it Python! :)

Sounds cool.

> I couldn't help but notice you talked about CORBA a little.  Which CORBA
> implementation do you suggest, and what's a good way to learn its C/C++
> bindings?

? I don't think I mentioned it. The plan is to use a custom-written ORB
called ORBit, though. It's not finished, but you can find it in CVS.

I'd guess you have to learn it like most Gnome stuff: read the source.
If you're lucky there will be comments. ;-)

Havoc Pennington
http://pobox.com/~hp