Re: ICQ for Gnome

>Well I'll be the first one to admit that depending on an external
>proprietary protocol is not such a good idea, but one shouldn't discount
>the usefulness of a true ICQ client.

Having a ICQ client will be cool (for some guys), but having a free
alternative will be cooler.
What if Tim Berners released http as propietary? No Internet as today we
know. Sure an alternative will be working or Internet will be as in 80s, all
text without hypertext.

>I think that parallel development of something like what Guillermo has
>suggested would be excellent, but there are different reasons for the ICQ
>client.  Namely, they already have versions for the most popular OS in
>the land, and have millions (literaly) of users.  By having a nice GUI
>client, all of us Linux users won't have to depend on the pathetic Java
>client.

If someone what to do a ICQ client, good.
I will keep with the idea of a free system for all (hardware, OSs, languajes).

>As Sean Gabriel (gtkicq author) has suggested, the functionality of ICQ
>should be rolled into a library and then this can be used by people
>making more comprehensive communications packages.  This way we can have
>a fast, native ICQ client for Gnome/GTK, and not restrict future
>development of other apps.  Sean also speculated about CORBA, which could
>add another layer of coolness to the ICQ lib.

Interesting: a com center were you manage all comms, from IRC to ICQ to new
system.

GSR