Re: Menubars

grumbler@esoterica.pt (Goncalo Valverde) writes:

> >> Yes, it would be nice to have them.  I believe this is better done at
> >> the Gtk level.  Or we could have a workaround in gnome-libs for that.
> >
> > I hope it can be done at the gtk level, because it would be _very_ cool
> > for use with the gimp (e.g. for the filters menu)
>
>  Thats probably the thing that ive been missing the most in gimp... i realy
> hope it will be done in the near future.

Complicated programs like the GIMP coming with extensively nested menu
structures tend to be very awkward to handle with the mouse.  With
tear-off menus this awkwardness can be minimized to practically zero.
That's what i love so much about "nedit" and "asWedit", because this
way recurring mouse actions can be help just a single click away
instead of going through the whole menu structure again.

I even think that it would be really need to add such a support to the
Gnome panel's menus, so that one can have just a part of the panel's
menu tree float on the desktop.  This would be quite similiar to what
WindowMaker has been implemented with their great pinnable mouse
menus.  If you need some part of the mouse menu to be present you can
just pin it to the desktop and thus minimizing mouse handling.  This
is a useability feature that would set Gnome's panel far apart from
how KDE's kpanel or Win95's taskbar are currently working.

Are the gtk+ people reading along here?  It would be a shame if our
suggestions went along unnoticed only because of discussing it in the
wrong forum...
                            Thanks for all, P. *8^)

PS: I've updated my screenshots of a Gnome desktop with yesterday's
    CVS snapshot.  The panel is becoming a real killer! :-) Check it
    out at "http://ietpd1.sowi.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig/gnome/".
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------
   --------------- http://www.uni-mainz.de/~pseelig -----------------