Re: LaTeX widget?

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Sergey I. Panov wrote:

> "Emacs Rules!" Well it does looks like that emacs has power to become

Thatīs right for sure. I use xemacs all day and I hate it because it is a
bloated moster. I stopped editing my emacs config files because I cannot
spend the whole reconfiguring xemacs to behave like I would expect it. So
I get used to emacss behavior and can actually work with it.  (Isnīt this
the same behaivoir we have with the (Ok/Apply/Close) discussion) For sure
you can do a lot of interesting stuff with it. But I see no sense in
playing tetris within a xemacs mode. To make this possible xemacs get a
full blown application while forgetting for what purpose it was written:
editing text files. What I would like to see is a extensible, customisable
editor as a widget that can be plugged into other higher level programs.
For example a Development Center, Word Processor, ... and not a text
editor blown up to behave like a Operating system. (Iīm waiting for the
guys that make linux bootable within an emacs mode :-). With this in mind
I thought about having a Word Perfect like application. An editor where
you can enter your text, and online feedback within another window, where
you have the possibility to arrange images, and so on. After a few beers I
also thought of rewriting emacs with guile as extension language :-), but
on the next morning I recognized that it would be better to join forces
than starting thousands of same projects. Someone in a german newsgroup
said: "A man has to build a house, to find a wive, to get children and to
write a text editor."

But lets stop this discussion now. I will see what I can do for LyX.  I
donīt like it for now, perhaps I will get used to it. But you are right:
"The real source always wins!"

Dirk