Re: file manager

    Miguel>    I think it is usable, if you want to try it out, just
    Miguel>    checkout
    Miguel> module "mc" from the cvs repository.

You need a bit more than that: if I have figured things out well
(don't count on it), you need to do (in the "mc" directory):

./configure --with-gnome --prefix=whatever

and then it will install both mc and gmc.  gmc is the gnome version of
mc.

PS it would be nice to get automake into the picture: in the old days
you were supposed to put a lot of dependencies between configure,
configure, Makefile.in, Makefile and so forth.  "mc" never had those
(ugly) things put in by hand, so (for example) if you modify
configure.in it will not re-run autoconf.

automake would take care of all that without compromising the wide
portability of mc.