Re: property dialogs

On Tue, 17 Mar, 1998 at 12:29:29PM -0700, Paul Hepworth set free these words:
> > While we're throwing ideas around, why not indicate pages on which
> > changes are still unapplied, by changing their tab-label font to
> > bold, appending an asterisk, or similar?
> >
> > My personal preference is to have 'Apply', 'Apply+Close', and 'Close'
> > buttons outside of the tab structure - the apply button applying
> > changes to all pages.  When there are no changes pending, only the
> > close button should be activated.
> >
> > Have the default action on hitting return be 'Apply+Close' when
> > there are changes, and 'Close' otherwise.
> >
> > I think this is more intuitive than the 'OK', 'Cancel', 'Apply' MS
> > Style.
> >
> > I don't think an undo button is really necessary in many cases, but
> > could be turned on as an addition to the three main buttons, at the
> > programmers discression, along with undo buttons within individual
> > pages.
> >
> This scheme has my vote.
> Regarding undo buttons (and defaults buttons), these should probably be
> placed on the pages rather than on the main dialog, as it makes more sense
> to undo or restore defaults for the single page you are looking at than for
> all pages at once.

For the undo button, I think there are two types with different meanings:
"undo changes I've just made" and "UnApply changes that I've made" -- Changing
colormap entries might be one instance where the latter was applicable.

-Toshio
--
badger  \"The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has
@prtr-13 \ changed between then and now as what I hope to change by tomorrow."

PGP signature