configure doesn't detect installed libintl

The configure in gnome-utils-0.13 (and presumably everywhere)
doesn't detect my installed libintl correctly (Linux 2.0.33 &
& libc 5.4.23 & gnugettext 0.10.23).

It chugs along and passes the first couple tests, down to

checking for bindtextdomain in -lintl  <--- this one's ok
checking for gettext in libintl        <--- this one isn't

My gettext is most definately in -lintl, but -lintl isn't
included in the final link for the second test.

The bindtextdomain test does this before compiling its
test program
     ac_save_LIBS="$LIBS"
   LIBS="-lintl  $LIBS"
but then it sets LIBS="$ac_save_LIBS" no matter what the
the results of its test and the gettext test never
adjusts the libs.

I took a look at the .m4 files, but I didn't see an
obvious fix.  Anybody else versed in m4?

Scott

 I love Saturday morning cartoons, what classic humour!  This
 is what entertainment is all about ... Idiots, explosives
 and falling anvils.     -- Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson