Re: a few notes on gncal

Eckehard Berns <eb@berns.prima.de> writes:

> I think Gtk sets the standard. When you use menu factories or build
> menus/accelerators by hand, you will get a Ctl+X.
>
> > Does anybody else find it weird that the standard key for Exit is
> > "Ctrl-Q"?
>
> Well, actually not the Ctl+Q. 'Q' or 'Ctl+Q' quit most of the X apps (and
> non-X apps, too).

Please excuse this partly out-of-context remark.

When discussing keyboard accelerators one should be very careful to
not use too many of the modifier keys since one important feature
which also requires them seems not to be implemented at all: input
methods.  I saw a mail proposing using Alt/Meta for certain actions
but this might be bad.  Input methods (as implemented in X11R5 and R6)
do require some keys to switch back and forth and since at least Shift
and Control are already used the sparse resources (only Alt and AltGr
on an old keyboard) must be handled carefully.

Another thing is ISO 9995.  This is a set of standards which describe
standard keyboard interfaces.  I'll look up what it says especially
about accelarators.

[BTW: Is anybody working on input methods for gtk/gnome?  Does the
style guide mention them?  They require special handling since a
window with input areas requires status and preedit fields.  It must
be specified whether at-point preediting is required etc etc.]

-- Uli