Re: help-browser linking error

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Robert Atkey wrote:

> I don't understand why this can happen, -lz is included in the list of
> libraries and running objdump -x on libz.so.1.0.4 lists the required symbols.
> The rest of the package compiles fine, and I have alreday installed gnome-libs.

It happends because you have a second libz.a stored in -L/usr/X11R6/lib,
and that one does not contain the symbols. I am a bit uncertain if it is
ok to delete that copy of libz.a, but here is a fix anyway..

Go into the help-browsers directory and edit the Makefile. At two places
in it you will find -L/usr/X11R6/lib. Replace it with
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib

The order is significant. That will force the compiler to look in /usr/lib
_before_ /usr/X11R6/lib, which won't have an effect on the X libs, but
makes sure that the correct libz is found.

-Stefan

| Stefan Mars              |Student, Applied physics & Electrical engineering |
| Bjoernkaerrsgatan 15B:30 |Linkoping Institute of Technology                 |
| S-584 36 Linkoping       |                                                  |
| Sweden                   |Email: mars@lysator.liu.se Phone: +46 (0)13175384 |
|         Maintainer of The THX Home Cinema Buyers Guide, located at          |
|               http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Emars/thxguide.html               |
\--------------------- PGP key available through finger ----------------------/