Re: updates?

> They are built into OS/2, VMS, and WindowsNT (hpfs anyway, not sure
> about ntfs).  OS/2 uses them extensively in its workplace shell.
> For unix, they'd be added at the VFS level (visible as separate
> files in the real file system): For example, I might have ./Foo.txt
> with its EAs in ./.EAs/Foo.txt.

 I was under impression that ext2fs can support EA, it is just that
nobody is using them. An the reason is portability across UNIXes. In
the beginning of the KDE project they disscussed possibility of using
EA in ext2fs but did not go for it for the reason mentioned above.
I guess one may use filesystem EA and still be portable -- e.g. fail
back to storing EA in hidden files if FS does not support them.

 Sergey