Re: Some notes on gnome-panel.idl

> First, I don't really understand why it reparents windows instead of
> just parenting them correctly at creation time.  (I haven't really
> looked at the details of Gtk, so I don't know if this is even
> possible.)  Shouldn't we just use Owen's plug/socket code?

Good idea.

> My second comment is about the state-saving part of the interface.  It
> assumes that panel applets have very modest state-saving needs.  For
> instance, the X session management protocol defines a way for an
> application to register command that the session manager can run to
> clean up state associated with a given application.  There is no way
> to expose this to a panel applet.

The applets should be getting a "shutdown" message (if it is not there
yet, it just because it has not yet been hacked), which will let the
applets perform any shutdown routine they need to.

> Will we ever want to write a program that can run both as a panel
> applet and as a standalone app?  If so, that might influence our
> choice (or at least how we expose session management to the applets
> themselves).

Yes.  The idea with the current panel idl is that it is possible for a
random application to register an applet in the panel.  This can be
used in a number of situations.

mguel.