Re: gnome-utils support directory error?

Toshio Kuratomi <badger@prtr-13.ucsc.edu> writes:
> On Sun, 01 Mar, 1998 at 09:03:31PM -0700, Tom Tromey set free these words:
> > Toshio> In the gnome-utils module from CVS, the support directory does
> > Toshio> not exist.
> >
> > I think you checked out gnome-utils the wrong way.
> > I say this because CVSROOT/modules has this line in it:
> >
> > gnome-utils gnome-utils &macros &intl &support
> >
> That seems to have been it. (I rm'ed and rechecked out and now I have all
> the proper directories.)
>
> Since I'm a bit new to cvs, could someone explain why
>
>     cvs update -d gnome-utils
>
> doesn't create the support directory for me?

`support' is not a real subdirectory of `gnome-utils', it is a virtual
sub-directory, and is listed in the CVSROOT/modules.  It is done this
way so that updating it in one package/module will automatically update
it in other modules that share the virtual sub-directory.  (To aid in
the confusion, the virtual module `gnome-utils' used the directory
module `gnome-utils' as its base.)

The problem is that `cvs update -d' apparently doesn't read the
`CVSROOT/modules' (`cvs get' surely does).

One way you could have been in this situation (of not having `support/')
is if you had checked out `gnome-utils' before the &support was added to
the `modules' file, and you missed my note in the CVS commit message
suggesting everyone to re-`cvs get' the affected modules.  Here's what I
wrote:

  revision 1.6
  date: 1998/02/13 18:08:57;  author: harinath;  state: Exp;  lines: +9 -9
  Added `support' module to `gnome-*'.

  Minor caveat:

  `cvs update -d' may not get the `support' directory.

	  cd .. && cvs get gnome-*

  should do the trick.  With my `cvs' (version 1.9.24), this acts just
  like an update, and doesn't overwrite local modifications.  YMMV.

(actually, one difference is that it doesn't use patches for changed
files.)

- Hari