Re: Question about programming techniques

On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 05:50:39PM -0400, Yo 'Ric Dude wrote:
> Miroslav Silovic wrote:
>
> > Excuse me... what 'power'? Aside from the fact that MICO owes much of
> > its uselessness to STL, you elegantly avoided Dirk's simple question;
> > and the answer to it is: You can't.
>
> STL is far from useless.  The container classes are sufficiently
> generic to contain pretty much any type of class you wish to
> stuff into it.  The algorithms work on all container types, for
> any object in them.  The iterator interface is also great for
> manipulating data where the algorithms are insufficient.  Also makes
> changing from a list to a vector, or a map to a set painless.

well one problem is that templates basically generate source instead of
being interpreted themselves ... so if you do a list of ints and a list
of longs you suddenly have two implementations in the object file ...
which is far from optimal ....

I like glib and similiar (though glib seems to be far better then any other
C container lib I've used .... not that I used too many) ... using void*
is not inherently evil ... and works just fine as long as you know what you
are doing .... templates, references and constructors have made my c++
experience a nightmare ... with C you have way more control of what happens
and when ... yes .. that's harder to program/type but it's easier to debug
that way

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: