clock applet

The "clock applet gets black after midnight" seems to happen because of
some bug in panel's applet support? If I create a simple applet which
creates an empty label, then after some time (in timeout function) changes
label to "A" and a bit later changes it to "B", instead of label changing
to "B" the whole label disappears, then again changing to some other
letter works .. depending on which letter. I tried the same thing as a
plain GTK program and it worked fine.