How is the gnome-common package used?

Let's suppose that I have a killer new Gnome app that I want to share
with the world, but because of my screwed up development environment, it

won't compile on any machine but my own.  So, I say to myself, "Self,
why don't you change your build environment to match all the cool stuff
in the CVS archve".

Problem; I can find no documentation on how to set up the build
environment (autogen.sh, etc.).  Can someone please either give me an
overview of what I need to do, or point me in the direction of the
documentation.

Thanks,
G.