Re: make in gnome-libs/libgnomeui doesn't specify -lgdk-1.1 and -lgtk-1.1

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Haukur Hreinsson wrote:

> I have a Debian system and am working from CVS sources. At first, I had some
> of the things GNOME depends on installed via Debian's package manager, but
> I've since removed these packages and compiled the libs from CVS sources. So
> I'm pretty sure that appropriate versions of glib, gtk, imlib, etc. are
> installed.
>
> The following is the last thing make does in gnome-libs/libgnomeui
>

> gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/gnome_segv gnome_segv.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> ../lib
> gnomeui/.libs/libgnomeui.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> ../libgnome/.libs/libg
> nome.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> ../support/.libs/libgnomesupport.so -L/usr
> /local/lib -lglib-1.1 -ldl -lgdk_imlib -ltiff -lgif -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lz -lm
>
> What follows is of course a bunch of undefined reference errors for gdk_*
> and gtk_* stuff.
>
> I'm sure more info is needed to figure out why this happens, but rather than
> randomly spewing bits of files that I don't fully understand to the list I
> think I'll just ask you to request any information needed.
>
> Also, to even get this far with gnome-libs, I had to call autogen
> with --disable-nls. If I didn't, make in gome-libs/po would try to `mv
> gnome-libs.po gnome-libs.pot` and gnome-libs.po did not exist. There is a
> gnome-libs.po in gnome-libs, but that's a directory that's almost identical
> to the po directory. This is all a bit confusing.

I am not sure why this is, but it seems that configure is not finding gtk+
or gdk, or is finding them and not linking them in.  You maybe could try
checking your config.log for more info or rm config.cache and rerun
autogen.sh and see what happens.  As for the po thing, I am not sure, but
I suspect that the mv should really be a cp so that the source file
doesn't get removed after the first build, but I am also not certain about
this.

Manish Vachharajani
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>