Re: gdk_imlib problem

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Geoff Harrison wrote:

> make sure that imlib_config had -lpng linked into it.  that's the problem,
> I'm willing to bet.

Well, of course, that's the obvious case, but I must not understand
something:

reflections% grep png Makefile                  ~/gnome/cvs/imlib/gdk_imlib
LIBS =  -ljpeg -ltiff -lungif -lpng -lz  -lm

Here's the only instances of the string "png" in the output of "make" in
gdk_imlib:

load.c:195: warning: implicit declaration of function `png_get_IHDR'
load.c:202: warning: implicit declaration of function `png_get_valid'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Wall  -o libgdk_imlib.la -rpath /usr/local/lib -version-info 8:0:7 cache.lo colors.lo globals.lo load.lo misc.lo rend.lo utils.lo save.lo  -ljpeg -ltiff -lungif -lpng -lz  -lm

and I _did_ have to put '#include "/usr/include/png.h"' in save.c in
gdk_imlib.

Might this be a Makefile problem of some sort?  The problem is that I
don't know how to make shared libs, and so since I don't know when and
where libgdk_imlib should be linked against libpng, I can't say if or
where or how it's being done wrong in my setup.  Maybe I should read up
on libtools, etc., but I just don't play with this stuff often enough
to know what I'm doing.  Alas.

> As far as library ordering, it shouldn't matter on elf
> systems -- if you were building on a non elf format platform, it would be
> an issue.  But I assume you're building for the linux platform.

Yep; debian at home, redhat at work, both glibc and fully elf.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                                     (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net